My year - 2019 so far

It's very nearly 2020. I cannot believe I've totally neglected my blog. It is very unlike me and I wish I hadn't left it so long. I love writing, for me, it's a bigger release than running or cooking and that's saying something as they are two pretty big passions of mine.

I've had a fun year, the biggest change being a house move which we did at the end of August. Megan started school which was hairy for a while but she seems to be really enjoying it now. I've been on a few holidays, mainly to places I've visited before but sometimes, the old ones are as good as the new ones. But life seems to have happened this year and there's a tinge of sadness that I've not had time to write and release my feelings as I've had some pretty low points this year. So I'm making a mental note to myself to really start making that time for myself to write my blog, to drift off into the depths of my mind and waffle aimlessly about life, and above all happiness.

My favourite holiday this year was a family holiday to St Ives in Cornwall. And what a place; yes there's a lot of B&B's, ice cream shops and those contentious second homes but when you look beyond that, it's stunningly beautiful. I'd only ever been to Cornwall once previously - according to my Mum, I've been there plenty of times but my memory is a little hazy prior to the age of 5 years old.  We did 5 days there and on one of the days, I ran a half marathon distance from St Ives to St Just; undulating was an understatement! We took Megan & Baxter to the beach every day & we even met a fire crew testing the hosepipes in the sea. I found St Ives a real comforting place and would happily return even for the most amazing ice cream ever - Moomaid.

Running & football played another major part this year, off the back of my 166 day challenge in 2018, I opted to enter in for three marathons, however, circumstances prevented me from running the third marathon as my beloved football team won promotion to the Premier League. The match that was the day before the marathon was Watford at Vicarage Road, no way could I miss that despite the anti climax in my household. The marathons that I did run (Manchester and Liverpool) were 7 weeks apart. That's a lot of training, a lot of early mornings and a few cross training sessions; the late night swims were my favourite! Although I really enjoyed the marathon challenge, I felt tired and my confidence dipped quite a bit as my times weren't as quick as I'd hoped.  I continuously kept looking back to the day where I ran the Brighton marathon in 4 hours 21 minutes and reminiscing that I could do it so much quicker and lose 20 pounds of weight that I'd put on in the meantime. Its taken me the rest of the year to give myself a pat on the back for completing Manchester and Liverpool a mere 7 weeks apart. And to complete any marathon is really an achievement.

My only moan of this year has been work. Both me and my husband have found ourselves stuck at a crossroads in our jobs, we're both dissatisfied with lack of progression, monotony and uncertainty shrouding our professions.  However, with the current political climate, we're biting our lips and holding tight as we both feel that this is causing the majority of the problem. I feel I'm approaching a mid work crisis and have a burning desire to re-train to get a profession or a qualification of sorts behind me, what it is, I don't know. I'm not one for New Year's resolutions but feel that 2020 will be a year to reassess my working life and what I really want from there.

It's been such an enormous release tapping away at my keyboard just to reflect upon 2019 so far. My blog will not be neglected for such a long time ever again!

Comments

Popular Posts