The Dirt Half Marathon - Leighton Buzzard

It's been a while since I wrote about running, so thought I would give a frank and honest opinion  of my experience running the Dirt Half Marathon, Leighton Buzzard.

Although I hadn't entered in for the race, I was delighted when my sister in law opted to volunteer at the race instead of running it which gave me the opportunity to improve on my time when I ran the race two years previously. The Dirt Half is now my local race and is a cross between a road and a trail run. It's always held in November and this year was a special one as the race was celebrating its 10 year anniversary. I wasn't expecting much having only done a training run up to 5 and a half miles the week before, to finish would be an achievement, especially to get another shiny medal at the end of it.

The start of the race is a lap around the field of Cedars before it heads out onto the canal tow path. For me, I find canal running pretty dull but when its within a race environment, it does make it more enjoyable. There was plenty of puddles, plenty of dog walkers, a few supporters and an abundance of support at the drinks stations which were manned by local running clubs - the Redway Runners were very well represented! The canal tow path run lasts for just under 6 miles before heading off after The Three Locks pub. This is where the race really starts to earn its name and it's reputation for being a bit undulating as immediately, you run through a load of mud before proceeding up a kilometre uphill track towards Great Brickhill. What's worse, you get to a mini clearing where it appears flat before you turn a corner to see the hill is still there and you've still got that little bit further to go before getting that well earned water at the top. From then on, it's a steep downhill before heading through Rushmere Park, which in fairness had its tree roots well highlighted to save the inevitable stumbles. It mirrors part of the Parkrun until you head towards the main road running past the golf club on pretty uneven ground. Around mile 10, the mud becomes the main focal point when you are ankle deep in the stuff before you cross a few wooden bridges through a field bringing you back onto the canal tow path at The Globe Inn and heading back to Cedars. A lap of Tiddenfoot pit finishes the race nicely as you re-enter back into Cedars School grounds.

Was it fun? Yes! And would I do it again? Yes! But the two things you need to bear in mind:

1) It's really muddy and your trainers will need a good wash afterwards
2) It's deceptively hilly, especially those track paths through forests & fields.

My husband loves the Dirt Half and its his annual event, the one he enters every year without fail. Whilst walking to the start line, I did say that I was looking forward to having some time together especially when running, to go for a run together is a real treat. As soon as we got there, we saw some friends and I ran about quarter of a mile with my husband before heading off with a friend who I like running with but don't get the chance to do so very often. He tends to run at a decent pace for me too and I managed a time of 2:14:03. The best bit was the cup of full fat Coca Cola waiting for me at the finish line, something I've never got at the end of a race before. The Dirt Half is definitely on my list to do again, maybe 2020...

Comments

Popular Posts